November 30 @ 7:00 pm - December 7 @ 12:00 pm
Mountains and Waters
16922 Cabot Avenue
Rohatsu Sesshin – Simplified Zen Meditation Retreat 2021
Tuesday November 30, 7 pm – Tuesday December 7, noon
The traditional week-long sesshin honoring Buddha’s enlightenment, deep in winter and snow with fire heat.
In sesshin, we let in the support of the whole universe. This can feel profound or ordinary; it is actually extraordinary.
- Sitting and walking meditation for 12 hours a day in silence, indoors or outdoors. Cooking and other tasks will be shared on a volunteer basis. Meals are included.
- First night orientation includes instruction in zazen and optional outdoor meditation.
- Private interviews are available immediately after the sesshin.
- Partial participation is possible, but please attend the Tuesday evening orientation session.
- Simple sleeping accommodations are offered; commuting is possible but discouraged.
- Please contact Shodo to ask about participating part-time through Zoom, by donation. And please do come to orientation, 7pm Central Time on Tuesday 11/30.
- On Tuesday 11/30, gather for orientation at 7 pm, followed by a period of sitting. Ending by 9.
- From 12/1 to 12/6: zazen at 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, afternoon 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and evening 7, 8. Three meals in the breaks.
- Each period is 50 minutes, followed by 10 minutes of kinhin.
- On 12/7, zazen will be at 6, 7 ,9, 10, and 11; we end at 11:50, and have a short cleaning period, short sharing circle, and lunch.
- Advance registration is required, one week in advance. Retreats are held at a private home on a 17-acre farm, an hour south of Minneapolis, on the Cannon River.
- Leader is Shodo Spring, dharma heir of Shohaku Okumura and founder of Mountains and Waters Alliance (MountainsandWatersAlliance.org)
- Fees are minimal – $40/day early registration includes food and lodging; donations support the teacher in the ancient tradition called dana.
- Feel free to ask questions. Driving directions and other information will be sent. Please ask if you would like to arrive early or stay late.
- Covid precautions update later.
- If you have not been here before, or if you have never sat sesshin before, please contact Shodo before registering.